Debra's Reviews > Last Night in Twisted River

Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving

Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: sai-king-recommends
Read from August 02 to 22, 2011

Stephen King recommended author and book.

Noted author in Chapter 9 of Berkley's 1983 paperback edition of Danse Macabre.

Stephen King said: "It starts with the accidental killing of a Native American woman (the youngster who brains her with a skillet mistakes her for a bear). Father and son take off, pursued by the relentless Constable Carl for nearly 50 years. There’s a lot of Canada here, a lot of cookin’, and a lot of gorgeous (and cynical) Americana. Irving’s best since Garp."

Aug-Sep 2001 group read Books Stephen King Recommends

8/22/11 Gosh... I can't decide between 3 stars and 4... it's weird. I've spent more time discussing this book than most any other book in my life! My sister and I have exclaimed, and complained, and WHY WHY WHY'd ourselves to death over this one! It certainly is going to stick with me a long time... is this just because it was so annoying? But maybe Irving wanted his readers to be annoyed; mostly with the characters and all the cooking talk? Cut the book in half, add some suspense for Pete's sake, maybe then it would be great? The writing was excellent, Americana was good, Ketchum's character was great, but geesh... hmmmm.... it was just missing something essential. Like SUSPENSE! Sorry, Mr. King... just isn't one I'd highly recommend, but it was good for a rambling character study. Fortunately, I still have faith in King's recommendations because I've read many others that were 4 and 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night in Twisted River.