Alexa Maring's Reviews > Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday

Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday by Judith Viorst

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: children-s-book, money, math

Instant gratitfication is one thing Alexander is good at, but this effects his ability to save for things he really wants! Use this story to teach students about delayed gratification and the pros to waiting. Students will see through Alexander that acting upon impulsive desires can lead to being unhappy in the end. Use this as an introduction to adding and subtracting money, as well as introducing savings accounts. When I was younger, my mom used to hold the majority of my birthday money and put it in the bank. I did not really understand why she was putting some of my money away, but when I wanted that American Girl doll I had the money because the money was saved up! Turn this into a writing prompt where students write about a time where they saved their money or maybe about a time they did not save and wish they had. This would be a great writing prompt to connect to all students if you have money involved in your classroom. In my second grade placement, money is given for good behavior, complements, turing in work, and weekly jobs. This money can be used to buy different items offered by the teacher. Students are given the choice to save their money or spend it quicky. With these writing prompts you can have students think about what they want, which will also help them in deciding to save or spend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday.