Inder's Reviews > The Thing About Life is That One Day You'll Be Dead

The Thing About Life is That One Day You'll Be Dead by David Shields

Feb 14, 2008

bookshelves: memoir, read-2008, new-york
Recommended for: Sports loving agnostic Jewish men? And the rest of us, too.
Read in April, 2008

Well, I'm definitely filing this away as one of the more "interesting" memoirs I've read in a while. It's a little depressing, mostly because the author takes such a depressing tone when he's talking about aging. Partly because his own dad is such a pleasure-seeking playboy, David Shields does not seem to attribute much in the way of wisdom to the very old. I think I disagree with the author about the nature of life and aging, and I'm glad I do.

In many ways, this sports-obsessed and somewhat cynical (aggressively atheist, too) memoir would not seem to be something I would enjoy. But it's beautifully written and kept me interested until the end. It gets four stars for that, despite its faults.

_______________________________

This is a weird book - a combination of facts and statistics about the aging process and a trenchant memoir about his relationship with his father. It's odd, but at halfway through, I think I like it, despite the fact that he tells me I am now on a steep decline towards old age and death. More later ...
_______________________

It's true - I cannot stop picking up new books and reading a few pages of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thing About Life is That One Day You'll Be Dead.