Peter's Reviews > Sea of Silver Light

Sea of Silver Light by Tad Williams

5121917
Mar 13, 11

A wonderful, climactic conclusion of a great story: It's essential you read the first three books because the story is continuous. Tad Williams amazes you by his ability to bring together all the ingredients of the previous three books and then tie them up very neatly indeed! There have been largely eight different narratives going on in the previous three books and they all come together without the process being contrived or predictable. Added to that, there is real pace in the story. I couldn't put this book down towards the end. Chapters leave you with exciting cliffhangers and twists to the story that you will never guess. I also found several parts of the ending really very moving. His characters are so realistic and interesting that you totally care about these people. I think one of the things I like about his story is that his characters are unconventional yet people you can relate too. He has created a real super villain in the form of John Dread, but not in a stereotyped way. He is utterly evil and we are able to see through that particular glass very darkly indeed in this story. What other reviewers might comment upon slows down the story I feel actually makes the book. Williams' attention to detail is remarkable. Landscapes come and go but you are never left with anything other than a perfect picture of where the story takes place. Otherworld is a Virtual Reality universe made special by its processing power to create absolute belief in the environment the visitor is in. Tad William's descriptive powers have exactly the same effect! This is a brilliant story and I strongly recommend it to you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea of Silver Light.