Aras's Reviews > Thinking in Pictures, Expanded Edition: My Life with Autism

Mar 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: biography, psychology, public-library
Read from March 21 to 23, 2011

This was a really inconsistent book, some parts were very compelling and interesting, but other parts are mostly dry information dumps. I'm a little worried by the tendency for some people to identify with a diagnosis too strongly, because it seems like you are painting yourself in a corner when you keep saying "I *am* autistic" or "I *am* depressive", etc. There's also then a tendency to then compare and contrast with some kind of 'average/normal' person that doesn't even exist in reality.

Where this was helpful to me was in explaining some of the ways that visual thinking can be applied to life in the real world. I don't consider myself an exclusively visual thinker, but I can see better now that some of the places where I trip up in life is where I don't have visual images to go with concepts - working on that can be something to try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking in Pictures, Expanded Edition.

William Herschel I have never read Temple Grandin because I don't "think in pictures" and figured I wouldn't relate. I'd like to know if it's worth the read anyway.

Aras Well, I don't literally think in pictures either most of the time, I think, but I still thought it might be an interesting read. It's due back at the library in a couple of weeks, so I guess I'll have something to say about it soon :)