Karen's Reviews > A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams

A River of Words by Jennifer Fisher Bryant

Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: poetry, picture-books
Read in March, 2011

A nice autobiography of William Carlos Williams, who always had a musical ear and a penchant for writing poetry, and figured out early on that he wanted to write about ordinary things, unlike the subjects chosen by "the famous English writers he had learned about in school" (Bryant). What a cool thing about Williams. So often when you encourage kids to write, they say, "I've got nothing to write about," somehow dismissing the idea that you can write about what you know, what you see, what your ordinary, everyday life offers. Maybe this book could be an inspiration to students to see the ordinary in a new light, and record their perspectives on paper.

Williams went off to medical school at 19, realizing that he probably would have trouble making a living from his poetry alone. Luckily, he met Ezra Pound and some other artists at school; they helped keep his artistic fires alive. He went back home after graduation and opened a medical practice. Luckily for us, "no matter how many babies he delivered, no matter how many sick people he cured, Willie could not stop writing poems" (Bryant). Pretty great story if you like WCW's poems. Awesome book to pair with a study of his works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River of Words.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica J Seems like and interesting collection of poems Karen. I am not familiar with his work. Your reviews hold him in high regard peeking my curiosity. I am fascinated by the fact that he was as a doctor, but had a full literary career. Interesting author to say the least.

Karen A bunch of his poems are in the front and back cover of the book, Erica. I'll bring it on Thursday.