George's Reviews > Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut

Talking to Girls About Duran Duran by Rob Sheffield

M_50x66
Mar 14, 11

Read in March, 2011

In a series of short chapters, Sheffield reminisces about growing up in the 80s (his teenage years and early twenties). It's the same approach he used in his earlier Love Is a Mix Tape, but without the strong central theme that held that one together. As a result, the book jumps around quite a bit, from the summer he spent as an ice cream man to his summer abroad in Spain, to more abstract musings on why cassingles are so great and the lasting appeal of 80s movies. I'm sure that'll be frustrating to some, but it's part of what helped me tear through this book so quickly. A lot of people who write about music professionally tend to come across as elitist, but Sheffield's passion is pop. I won't defend all of his choices, but I love the largely unapologetic enthusiasm. I'm quite a bit younger than Sheffield, and most of my 80s knowledge was acquired after the decade had actually ended, but, as he notes, a lot of the pop culture has lasted far longer than anyone could seriously have expected it to, and while I didn't get all of the references, I never felt particularly excluded because of it. I've given the book 4 stars because of how much I enjoyed it while I was reading it -- it made me laugh a number of times, and I kept picking it back up compulsively. Usually, I try to reflect a little more, and I almost talked myself down to 3 stars, but sometimes you just have to admit that while something's not the greatest work of art, and you have no idea how long it'll stay with you, it certainly entertained the heck out of you and there's merit in that as well.
P.S.: There are a lot of typos in the book. If something like that bothers you to the point where you're not able to enjoy a book (and, admittedly, I'm fairly close to being like that), you might want to stay away.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talking to Girls About Duran Duran.