The Sunday Book Review's Reviews > Between a Rock and a Hot Place: Why Fifty Is Not the New Thirty

Between a Rock and a Hot Place by Tracey Jackson

Mar 13, 11

The subtitle already had me connected with the book : Why Fifty is Not The New Thirty. While I am not a woman in my 50's, I am a woman. And no matter what age we are at, it always seems like we should be younger. That's what they keep telling us anyway.

Menopause is discussed greatly in this book. It is a book about turning 50 after all. And let me tell you, it is not for the squeemish. Tracey Jackson does not hold anything back. Which is good and oh so bad. She does play with the topic with some humour which makes the topic easier to read through.

One of the ideas that I liked most about this book is the 50 is still 50. It's not 20,30 or 40. It's 50. And while we do feel as young as our heart, that heart still have issues that may slow us down and get us to the doctor more frequently. Tracey does seem to go into extensive details about plastic surgery and how so many women are resorting to it in this youth obsessed climate. Step over the shock, and she has some great points.

Overall it's a funny book. I enjoyed her narrative way of telling us how she dealt and continues to deal with the change her body is going through, but also liked how she underscored it with how we must take even those funny changes seriously. There were certain sections which seemed to be a "TMI" moment, but I say this as a non 50 woman. Those going through them I am sure will appreciate the honesty and openness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between a Rock and a Hot Place.