Benjamin's Reviews > The Farthest Shore

The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. Le Guin

Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: audiobook

Perhaps as good as the first two in the Earthsea cycle, The Farthest Shore seems to me to be too much of a retread thematically, and only slightly necessary for the way it completes the issue of the reunification of the archipelago into a single kingdom under a wise king, an issue which has come up in the first two books.

See, in this book, old Ged is now mentor to a kid, which is kind of what he does in the second book; and he faces a sorcerer who tears open a hole between the lands of the living and the dead, which is kind of what he did in the first book; and we learn, as we did in both books, that life and death are related. As I said, kind of a retread, though we do get some more up-close-and-personal time with dragons, which is always appreciated.

Anyway, while the content of this book still sets it apart from the average compensatory fantasy ("even though I'm just a kid, I'm really a hero who can defeat anything!"), both The Tombs of Atuan and this book are largely told in a style that seems flatter and more common than Le Guin's usual style/interest in oral traditions.

I'm taking a podcast break before I head on to the fourth, which I may have never read before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farthest Shore.