caren's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

4201903
Jul 20, 13

bookshelves: swooning-for-days, book-boyfriend, favorites, galley-arc, rec-to-all-the-people-i-know
Recommended for: All the people
Read from May 01 to 02, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

There are some books that make reviewing very, very difficult. Obviously, INSURGENT is one of them. I really want to say all the things! And I probably will. So, this is your warning that there will be spoilers ahead.

If you read my review of DIVERGENT, you know how much I loved it. The world, the idea, the characters. Everything. Tris is a badass, and Four, well… I don’t suppose I need to explain why I love him.

INSURGENT picks up right where DIVERGENT ends, with Four and Tris on the train to Amity Headquarters. They’ve just made it through the Erudite’s attack and stopped the simulation that was controlling the Dauntless population. Except, of course, for the Divergent.

We stopped the simulation—the weight of the hard drive in my back pocket reminds me—but we didn’t pause to see the aftermath. What happened to our friends, our peers, our leaders, our factions? There is no way to know.

Their world has just been effectively ripped apart, and what they don’t know yet, is that it’s only the beginning.

“Nothing else is all right.” His whisper tickles my cheek. “But we are.”

I’m not sure what I was prepared for going into this book, but I think all of my expectations were met and then some. I do know that I expected answers. And we got some of those. But we also got way more questions. Every answer that came through, it felt like a new question bloomed in its place. I was constantly on my toes, wondering, waiting, hoping and guessing.

In the midst of all that, there was action, adventure, angst, swoons, death and surprises. Yes. Surprises. A couple of them were oh-shit-out-loud surprises. A couple of them were definite ah-hah moments. Husband dude laughed at my “I knew it!”’s quite a few times.

What I’m saying is, this book never, ever lulled for me. I was engaged from start to finish.

It’s hard to break this down, but I guess the easiest thing would be to tell you what I liked and what I didn’t.

I loved Tris; she will always be a badass to me, but I’ll admit that I did not like her for parts of this book. I did not like her at all. She made me angry, and sad, and a little disappointed in her if I’m being honest.

Four. Duh. Tobias is, and forever will be, one of my favorite bookboys. He made me hurt so good. I felt his emotions and turmoil and his… I felt all the things, okay? I just can’t even explain it. The way these two are when they’re together. Whether things are good or bad, I love it. Any interaction makes me happy (even if it’s making me want to throw up).

I totally enjoyed learning about all of the other factions, not just Dauntless. This time around, I felt like I was able to develop a respect for how their individual groups work and function, and how without one, the others would suffer. (I would definitely have missed Amity and their serums, because that was epic) And that was something I never felt in DIVERGENT. I really only cared about Dauntless then, but that changed very quickly in INSURGENT.

I enjoyed the return of characters from the first book, like Uriah and Lynn. And Caleb… briefly (I still have hope!!). There were some characters I wouldn’t have minded falling off the train *cough* Peter… Eric… Marcus. I loved the introduction of some new characters, and I cannot wait for the next book to find out just what’s in store for everyone.

Just like last time, I’m on the edge of my seat.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes caren Liked

Veronica Roth
“He kisses me again, more insistent this time, his hands squeezing my waist. His breaths, his body, my body, we are so close there is no difference.”

Veronica Roth
“He slides his hand over my cheek, one finger anchored behind my ear. Then he tilts his head down and kisses me, sending a warm ache through my body. I wrap my hands around his arm, holding him there as long as I can. When he touches me, the hollowed-out feeling in my chest and stomach is not as noticeable.”

Veronica Roth
“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”

Veronica Roth
“Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind.”

Veronica Roth
“We're all right, you know,' he says quietly. 'You and me. Okay?' My chest aches, and I nod. 'Nothing else is all right.' His whisper tickles my cheek. 'But we are.”

Veronica Roth
“Sleep,” he says. “I'll fight the bad dreams off if they come to get you.” “With what?” “My bare hands, obviously.”

Veronica Roth
“Got that gun?” Peter says to Tobias. “No,” says Tobias, “I figured I would shoot the bullets out of my nostrils, so I left it upstairs.”

Veronica Roth
“Before we sit down, he puts his mouth next to my ear and says, “I like your hair that way.”

Veronica Roth
“I’ll be your family now,” he says.
“I love you,” I say.
I said that once, before I went to Erudite headquarters, but he was asleep then. I don’t know why I didn’t say it when he could hear it. Maybe I was afraid to trust him with something so personal as my devotion. Or afraid that I did not know what it was to love someone. But now I think the scary thing was not saying it before it was almost too late. Not saying it before it was almost too late for me.
I am his, and he is mine, and it has been that way all along.
He stares at me. I wait with my hands clutching his arms for stability as he considers his response.
He frowns at me. “Say it again.”
“Tobias,” I say, “I love you.”
His skin is slippery with water and he smells like sweat and my shirt sticks to his arms when he slides them around me. He presses his face to my neck and kisses me right above the collarbone, kisses my cheek, kisses my lips.
“I love you, too,” he says.”

Veronica Roth
“I am his, and he is mine, and it has been that way all along.”

04/30/2012 page 1
05/01/2012
7.0% "I kinda love Caleb. Especially for the shirt buttons. ;)"
05/01/2012
14.0% "Snorting so hard right now."
19.0% "Whuuuuuuuut."
24.0% "BITCH."
28.0% ":("
40.0% "Dying. Gah."
50.0% "Oh, my god."
64.0% "Fuck!"
68.0% "WHAT. CARENSMASH. #insurgent" 1 comment
05/01/2012
77.0% "Why must I sleep *now*???"
05/02/2012
90.0% "I want to puke right now. My stomach is in knots. #insurgent"
98.0% "WTAF!!!"
98.0% "WTAF!!!"
05/02/2012
100.0% "My eyes are wet and I have goosebumps and HOLY SHIT I NEED THE NEXT BOOK!"