Bronson's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

Mar 18, 08

I must have read these too late in life to get caught up in the magic of the series. I read them after the first movie came out and I couldn't believe that such an exciting movie was based on this slow boring book. I didn't think Peter Jackson had any restraint when it came to editing out unimportant events from the movie but I found that there was a lot of really boring stuff like Tom Bombadil and the songs - ohh the songs just went on and on. Overall I think Tolken is a genius and created an amazing mythology but it just didn't capture me. I'll stick with watching the movies and still fast forward through the slow parts.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Bronson, Bronson, Bronson...you're right about the genius part. CS Lewis said that it may take a person reading Tolkien's work at least 20 times before they could begin to understand the deft scholarship and profound reflection Tolkien employed. What I love about the Ring trilogy is his understanding and portrayal of fellowship, true character and charity. Indeed, many of Tolkien's details are taken from his time in the war and his own fellowship in college, a reading group, TCBS...

Many of his writings were done during the war as a form of escapism... he took what he saw around him and put it in a different world. Good does conquer evil, which is my favorite part. I admit that he does go off on a lot of "tangents"... but there's something behind everything! Lots of songs and poems, yes, his own language yes... One on the only authors I know of who has college courses dedicated solely to his writings...(Shakespeare's another)

I could go on and on... there are layers and layers to his works...a lot like CS Lewis, of course the two were friends.

Try The Hobbit and see what you think... we'll convert you to a five star rating yet!

Bronson Do you think connor would like the Hobbit if I read it to him? I am not excited to read something about little people with hair on their toes unless connor would enjoy it.

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I think Connor would love it...hairy toes and all! It was orginally published as a children's book...I think.