Natshane's Reviews > Blood Promise

Blood Promise by Richelle Mead

Mar 13, 2011

Read on March 13, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Please give me a moment to collect my thoughts....
It has taken me every ounce of self-restrain to not scream as if I was held hostage by a strigoi. And to also avoid my parents from thinking so too, I couldn't afford them having to barge down the doors with a shotugn in their hands. LOL. Richele Mead is just the best writer I've ever read! And Blood Promise was not dissapointing, not at all! I took a break from the series after I was finished with Shadow Kiss (the after effect was still strong) but I had no problem returning to Blood Promise. One of the reason is because now that I know Dimitri had turned into a strigoi, and Rose had chose to find him, I knew that Blood Promise would be one hell of a ride.

Compared to the books before BP, I felt even more connected to Rose in this one, I felt her intense longing for Dimitri, knowing that he was gone.The flashbacks had my heart clenched and threatened my tears to overflow. I just feel nostalgic and the wamness of the memories seized me like a powerful grip, I just wanted to hold on to history and not return to the cold reality Rose have to face. It was really heartbreaking what she had to went through, first she found Dimitri's home, and she felt belonged, yet knowing that she doesn't truly belong. And then she met Strigoi Dimitri, who is no longer the Dimitri she knew, yet she held on to that piece of him while struggling to get a grip of herself, to kill him and free him of this life (honestly, the killing Dimitri part was sort of comical, I lost count of how many times Rose had stabbed him with a stake! Haha). All the while she was keeping tabs of Liss, and have to feel Liss' depression as well. Sometimes, I think Rose is a saint, a god for being able to keep up with all of these!

Everything was intense, the feelings, the emotions, the story plot, and my friends were right, Strigoi Dimitri was utterly hot and dangerous. Strigoi Dimitri was not reserved, he was edgy and powerful, and the fact that he still wants Rose made me swoon. But I very much prefer the old Dimitri, because he was warm and I liked his sunny side, despite how cold and ruthless and serious a guardian could be. Hey! Guardian Belikov sounds better than Strigoi Belikov right? I was particularly awed when Rose returned to St. Vladimir and received a note from Strigoi Dimitri, he ended the note with a LOVE D! Who would not swoon?!

Besides Dimitri's and Rose's complicated relationship, a new addition to St. Vladimir's school had also added a spark to the whole story, Avery. She has 'seduced' Adrian and compelled Liss, and at first I thought she was good, but I guess she's evil and I hate her for breaking Christian and Liss' perfect relationship. Now that they are apart, I felt like hurling something at her until she sets things right, but I have to frequently remind myself that this is just a story. Actually, I'm convinced that vampires do exist in this world, LOL!

One thing lacking from Blood Promise is the element of surprise, I seemed to know what was going to happen next, unlike in Shadow Kiss, I was constantly stunned into a world of silence. (being bombastic :) ) still, there are a few times where I was momentarily taken aback, so I still give praises. But this small aspect wouldn't affect my rating nor my feelings towards the series, I still think that this is the best vampire series ever! (Equivalent to Morganville Series though, I couldn't choose between them!)

I guessed I babbled too much, I certainly love Blood Promise to the extent that I'll lock the book in a safe! (trying to be funny ;p) A shout out to Dimitri! Rose! Liss! Christian! Adrian! and the new Alchemist, Sydney! (I liked her, she seemed like a nice girl:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Promise.

Quotes Natshane Liked

Richelle Mead
“That's what I was supposed to say...”

Richelle Mead
“I know how devastated you must be to miss me, but leave a message, and I'll try to ease your agony”

Richelle Mead
“If your eyes weren't open, you wouldn't know the difference between dreaming and waking.”

Richelle Mead
“Okay, God, I thought. Get me out of this and I’ll stop my half-assed church-going ways. You got me past a pack of Strigoi tonight. I mean, trapping that one between the doors really shouldn't have worked, so clearly you're on board. Let me get out of here, and I’ll...I don’t know. Donate Adrian’s money to the poor. Get baptized. Join a convent. Well, no. Not that last one.”

Richelle Mead
“I’d said it before and meant it: Alive or undead, the love of my life was a badass.”

Richelle Mead
“You've asked me out tons of times."
"Not really. I've made inappropriate suggestions and frequently pushed for nudity. But I've never asked you out on a real date.”

“Roza." His voice had that same wonderful lowness, the same accent . . . it
was all just colder. "You forgot my first lesson: Don’t hesitate.”

Richelle Mead
“I nearly dropped the plate I held. "You've asked me out tons of times."

"Not really. I've made inapproprite suggestions and frequently pushed for nudity. But I've never asked you out on a real date. And, if memory serves, you did say you'd give me a fair chance once I let you clean out my trust fund."

"I didn't clean it out," I scoffed.”

Richelle Mead
“You forgot another lesson: Never turn your back until you know your enemy
is dead. Looks like we’ll have to go over the lesson again the next time
I see you—which will be soon.
Love, D.”

Richelle Mead
“Stop fighting me!" he said, trying to pull on the arm he held.

He was in a precarious position himself, straddling the rail as he tried to lean over far enough to get me and actually hold onto me.

“Let go of me!” I yelled back.

But he was too strong and managed to haul most of me over the rail, enough so that I wasn’t in total danger of falling again.

See, here’s the thing. In that moment before I let go, I really had been contemplating my death. I’d come to terms with it and accepted it. I also, however, had known Dimitri might do something exactly like this. He was just that fast and that good. That was why I was holding my stake in the hand that was dangling free.

I looked him in the eye. "I will always love you."

Then I plunged the stake into his chest.

It wasn’t as precise a blow as I would have liked, not with the skilled way he was dodging. I struggled to get the stake in deep enough to his heart, unsure if I could do it from this angle. Then, his struggles stopped. His eyes stared at me, stunned, and his lips parted, almost into a smile, albeit a grisly and pained one.

"That’s what I was supposed to say. . .” he gasped out.

Those were his last words.”

Richelle Mead
“You kill me, Rose," he said melodramatically. "Every day is agony without you. Empty. Alone. I pine for you, wondering if you're even still alive.”

Richelle Mead
“I look him in the eye. "I will always love you.”

Richelle Mead
“Dimitri: "Why did you come here?"
Rose: "Because you hit me on the head and dragged me here.”

“Roza..."
The voice caressed my skin, cold and deadly. Still scrutinizing his surroundings, Dimitri took one step forward. Then another. And then another.
I think it occurred to him to look up the instant I jumped. My body slammed into his, knocking him to the ground back first. He immediately tried to throw me off, just as I tried to drive the stake through his heart. Signs of fatigue and fighting were all over him. Defeating the other Strigoi had taken its toll, though I doubted I was in much better shape. We grappled, and once, I managed to rake the stake over his cheek. He snarled in pain but kept his chest well protected. Over it, I could see where I'd ripped his shirt the first time I'd staked him. The wound had already healed. "You. Are. Amazing," he said, his words full of both pride and battle fury.”

Richelle Mead
“We need to be together."
"Why?" I asked softly. The word was carried away on the wind, but he heard.
"Because I want you."
I gave him a sad smile, wondering if we'd meet again in the land of the dead. "Wrong answer," I told him.
I let go”

Richelle Mead
“She says you're not awake until you're actually out of bed and standing up.”

Richelle Mead
“No one had ever called me unnatural before, except for the time I put ketchup on a taco. But seriously, we'd been out of salsa, so what else was I supposed to do?”

Richelle Mead
“If he wants to tell you, he'll tell you. End of story, Rose. Besides, you certainly keep your share of secrets too. You two have a lot in common."
"Are you kidding? He's arrogant, sarcastic, likes to intimidate people, and—oh." Okay. Maybe she had a point.”