Cori's Reviews > Nature Girl

Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen

Feb 14, 08

Read in February, 2008

I love how Hiaasen's books are always a hoot. The characters are wacky, the plots are ridiculous, and Florida always comes out on top.

In Hiassen's 11th book, he tells the story of a bizarre cast of characters: Honey Santana, a bi-polar mom whose heart is in the right place but who doesn't exactly think things through, her skateboarding son Fry, Fry's "ex-father" (Honey's ex-husband) Perry Skinner, Louis Piejack -- Honey's stalker, a clueless telemarketer named Boyd Shreave, Boyd's leggy mistress Eugienie, Thlocklo -- a Seminole not-quite warrior, his accidental hostage Gillian, a PI in over his head named Dealey, and some crazy people in a cult. And, of course, a bunch of other people.

Basically there is a bunch of stuff that leads up to all of these people being stuck on an island in the Everglades. Like all of Hiaasen's novels (at least the half a dozen I've read), the story is pro-environment and anti-development. Most of the characters are really clueless but no one (other than perhaps Piejack) is truly evil. Unlike most fiction, it's impossible to stereotype the characters in his novels -- they are all so richly and originally drawn.

Nature Girl was, as always, a lot of fun, but I didn't think it was Hiaasen's best. Usually there is an element of government or big corporations that I always enjoy. Still, I laughed and enjoyed the whole book, and I recommend it, as I do all of his books.

My Rating: 7 out of 10 for being funny, heartwarming, yet a little gross. Not Hiaasen's best work, but quite good nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nature Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Veronica Just read this one as a follow up to hoot. Intend to read others. Where do you recommend to start?