Steven Dzwonczyk's Reviews > A Beautiful Mind

A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar

2010687
Apr 02, 11

Read from March 13 to April 01, 2011

I would have never gotten through this book if it wasn't an audiobook. Author Sylvia Nasar presented a comprehensive narrative of John Forbes Nash's life. Unfortunately, she was absent from school the days they taught about engaging your audience, limiting your topic, and just about every other skill related to literature. She is no doubt a wonderful researcher, but includes details so small as to call into question her own sanity, let alone the sanity of her subject.

This book was a lot like watching someone else's home movies. To them, they are interesting; to everyone else they are a drudgery. For about the first 49 chapters you could literally skip all the odd chapters and not really miss anything.

There were a few moments of interesting detail, mostly surrounding the Nobel Prize and applications of Nash's work. Also, I found the details of Princeton in the 50's and 60's interesting since I live near there. Otherwise, it was dull.

Though I usually like Blackstone Audio's production of books, the narration of this one by Anna Fields, was below their standards. The narrator's voice was so expressionless that she seemingly started new chapters mid-sentence.

This is one of those rare cases where the movie was much better than the book. In fact, if the titles weren't the same I'd be hard-pressed to tell you that they were based on the same story.

A true disappointment. I should have listened to the wisdom of my older sister and skipped this one. That is 17 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Mind.

Susan Hope you like it. I loathed this book. (Oh, am I prejudicing you against the book?) Or I guess it was the character had few redeeming characteristics to me.

Steven Dzwonczyk Susan wrote: "Hope you like it. I loathed this book. (Oh, am I prejudicing you against the book?) Or I guess it was the character had few redeeming characteristics to me."

Well, so far I'm enjoying it. They're talking a lot about Princeton, so as I drive to work I can relate. We'll see. The movie was evidently just a romantic interpretation of the book, very loosely based on it.

Susan I feel so honored that you respect(after the fact) my opinion of this book! ;^)