Bec's Reviews > A Pocketful of Eyes

A Pocketful of Eyes by Lili Wilkinson

Mar 16, 2011

Read in March, 2011

I don't want to give too much about this one away, because I will be adding a full review plus an interview with the lovely Lili to the first edition of the A Thousand Words Newsletter (see www.athousandwordsfestival.com.au to sign up). BUT, it is safe to say that I LOVED "A Pocketful of Eyes".

I grew up reading Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew, and was devastated every time I tapped on a wooden panel only to discover that it was not, in fact, hiding a marvelous secret room full of mysteries and clues. This is a wonderful throw back to that era but the characters are modern, and quirky, and aimed at a more mature audience than these earlier girl detective series.

The book is wonderfully clever, with threads of the mystery wafting tantalisingly just out of reach until they all pull very neatly together at the end. It isn't clever just for the sake of being clever though, and above all the story and the characters are just so entertaining that this book is an absolute blast to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pocketful of Eyes.