Becky's Reviews > Entangled

Entangled by Cat Clarke

Mar 13, 2011

bookshelves: read-for-review
Recommended for: People who love gritty, emotive stories
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Entangled is an emotional journey. It is raw and tender and sad and funny and for me about the deep inner truth that lies inside all of us.

We enter Grace’s story on Day 3. She is sitting at a table and writing. Why? Because there is no other option. She is being held against her will. She is a prisoner within a crisp white room. A mysterious boy-practically-a-man named Ethan is keeping her locked up. He hasn’t hurt her yet but why else would he be keeping her there? Grace meets Ethan on the night that she decides to commit suicide. That is not a spoiler (in case you are wondering) it is the first line of the book. The mystery of the story is far more complex.

I can hardly say any more for fear of giving the plot away. So I am not going to. This is likely to be a really weird and baffling review.

When I was reading Entangled, I felt like I had Cat in my head reading out the story. Grace’s voice is convincing as an angry, defensive seventeen year old. I liked her from the beginning. Yes she is snarky and at times self-centred but I think there is a truth in that. We can all be that way especially if we have insecurities about who we are or what we look like.

As well as Grace and Ethan, there are Sal and Nat. I don’t have any strong feelings about Sal. I will say that her “wake up and be positive everyday-ness” is kind of me. I am a half glass full kind of girl and I think that sometimes this outlook can be really difficult for other people to cope with who don’t share it. On the one hand the half-empty people love it, they feed off my enthusiasm and lemon zestiness and on the other hand, they hate it because it isn’t something that comes naturally to them and it reminds them that I have a contentedness they are missing out on. I am not saying that my outlook or their outlook is right, but this friction between outlooks is something that is real and challenging in close friendships.

I do have strong feelings about Nat. I do not like him. What can I say? There was one scene that really made me mad at him. If you’ve read the book, it is probably not the one you’re thinking of.

Entangled is an absolute page-turner. I felt compelled to know more, more, more. The further I got into Grace’s story the more emotional I felt. She has a deep inner sadness. At the beginning of the story Grace has many questions. At the end of the novel, I had questions. But I’ve decided that at the heart of this novel is the premise that some questions can never be answered. Incredibly sad, because it is true. Entangled is a book to make you weep and remind you that everybody needs somebody to understand them.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.