Wendy Darling's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: dystopian-post-apocalyptic-utopian, young-adult, read-2011, 2011-publication
Read in May, 2011

A well-written and engaging utopian romance, with an ending that leaves you wanting more but doesn't feel like a cheap trick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Wendy Darling Liked

Lauren Oliver
“My heart is drumming in my chest so hard it aches, but it's the good kind of ache, like the feeling you get on the first real day of autumn, when the air is crisp and the leaves are all flaring at the edges and the wind smells just vaguely of smoke - like the end and the beginning of something all at once.”
Lauren Oliver, Delirium

Lauren Oliver
“You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope, and without fear.

I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”
Lauren Oliver, Delirium

Annabelle Marie Veronica I'd love to hear more about what you thought of this book. I've gotten such mixed opinions.

message 2: by Wendy Darling (last edited May 16, 2013 11:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wendy Darling It's really a utopian/dystopian romance, Annabelle. If you go into it knowing that (and depending on whether you'd be interested in such a story), I think it'll help.

I thought the writing was really beautiful and the emotional connections were well done. I think most of the criticisms are because many readers expected a more hard-edged, more developed dystopian world, whereas the society here is just sort of the backdrop to the story the author wanted to tell.

Annabelle Marie Veronica Thank you so much, love! I really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I'm definitely much more intrigued to read it now and I think it'll be worth my time(: Again, thanks!!

Wendy Darling My pleasure! I'm glad I happened to be around. I look forward to hearing what you think of it if you do give it a try.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly. It ends but it's not dirty.

Wendy Darling I could have written a real review, I guess, but I'm happy you get my point just from that, Wes. ;)

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 05, 2012 12:28AM) (new)

Honestly for the clever individual it's hard to write one for this as just about everything can give away a large section of the book. As far as a description goes, the jacket suffices. It's kind of one of those "open the book and have faith" situations that it goes in an entertaining favor.

Nicole I gave it 3.5 stars too. I don't know if you've read her first book, Before I Fall, but this was definitely not up to par with that for me. Her writing is beautiful though!

Wendy Darling I haven't read BIF yet, Nicole, but I definitely will! I just have to be in the mood for a weeper, you know? ;)

I LOVED her middle grade novel Liesl and Po, so she's definitely among my favored authors, even though I had more mixed feelings (though overall positive) about this one. I hear the sequel is better, though.

Nicole BIF is seriously amazing! As soon as I finished it, I wanted to go back and read it again. I have a copy of her middle grade book, I just haven't gotten to it yet, but it looks awesome. I'm reading the sequel to this one and so far it's not bad. I'm still skeptical though.