Trisha's Reviews > The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: classics, drama, mystery, romance, favourites
Read from June 22 to July 04, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** It took me a fair while to finish this book, even though it's pretty short and I loved reading it (and it was pretty easy to read). The reason it took me so long is that I was busy, not that I didn't enjoy the read!

This is a tragic story, but it also has its quirky/funny side. I love the notes that the "opera ghost" left, signed "O.G." I felt sorry for him, even though he truly had become the monster everyone saw him as because of his face. I guess he went some way towards redeeming himself in the end, but his surrender of Christine to Raoul didn't really make up for all the other heinous crimes he'd committed over the years of his life.

I enjoyed the "authentic" feel of the novel, i.e. it was written to sound more like an historical account than a work of fiction. I was amused by some of the tricks O.G. played on the owners (past and present) of the Opera, but then he was doing it for selfish reasons and not just to have his fun with them.

I thought it was sad that Christine couldn't love Erik, but then he probably went about trying to woo her in the wrong way. ;) And it seemed to me that he could have used a good deal of vitamin D. :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom of the Opera.