Mark's Reviews > To Your Scattered Bodies Go

To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip José Farmer

Mar 13, 2011

Read in March, 2007

I loved the Riverworld universe; it was such a great idea with plenty of room to run around.

In a nut shell:
Humanity has been resurrected along a never-ending river in a strange alien world.
All humanity is there, politicians, doctors, shop keepers, cave men, everybody. The story revolves around prominent figures of history as they try to escape this strange world.
This means that maybe you get to see what might happen if Stalin were to meet Julius Caesar. Josse manages to do this without the book turning into a dinner party for the dead.
The Riverworld is a strong sci-fi setting; there are mysteries to be solved, pitched battles, love stories, aliens and all sorts going on.

The only problem I had was keeping track of the characters. There are loads of them spread all along the river. You don't need to know your history as each historical figure comes with a neat little intro (I did learn a few bits) but it does help.

The first three books are must reads, the fourth wobbles a bit and the firth is just awful.
Lots of action, lots of intrigue, a little on the heavy side but utterly original and gripping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Your Scattered Bodies Go.