Traci Haley's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Mar 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011, best-of-2011, historical
Read in March, 2011

I was still working as a young adult librarian when this book was first published, so I never did get around to reading it. When your job is to read almost every young adult book to come across your desk, you find it rather hard to get around to reading "grown up" books. But with the movie coming out, I thought I should probably give this one a try.

The subject matter of the plot neither appealed to me nor didn't appeal... while I'd heard great things about the novel, it just wasn't one that I would have thought to rush out and read. Boy, am I kicking myself for waiting and for not being excited about this book!

Wow, what an amazing, well-written story! The characters practically leap off the page! I started this book at 10:00 am on a Saturday morning and had made it 3/4 of the way 4 hours later. After a brief break to run some errands, I quickly gobbled up the rest of the book in an hour. Now I'm sitting here, feeling bereft at the thought of never again having the experience of reading this book for the first time and of not having an afternoon of new adventures with Jacob, Marlena, Walter, and the rest of the gang. It's like this with every amazing book I read -- I gobble the books in huge chunks, eager to find out what happens... then spend weeks in a funk after finishing it and not having anything like it to read afterwards. I'll get over it -- I'll find a new book to capture my interest. But in the meantime, this book truly touched my soul. I now can't wait to see the movie version, though I'm sure it won't be nearly as brilliant as the book.

I especially love how this book ended... I didn't expect it to end very happily...but the way things ended up made me laugh right out loud with joy!

Man, what a great book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.