Alice's Reviews > The Fourth Bear

The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde

Mar 12, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, library, humor, literary, mystery, thriller, urban-fantasy, fantasy
Read from March 12 to 19, 2011

These are far from my favorite of the Jasper Fforde books. That doesn't mean they're not entertaining, though. They are a good way to pass the time while I wait for the next Thursday Next book.

While the satire in the Nursery Crime books is often biting and timely, the plots, themselves, don't hold up very well. I don't read Jasper Fforde for the plots, though. I read Jasper Fforde's books because he's amazingly creative, and often uproariously funny.

This book is no exception. There's a lot of silliness, some very creative plays on words, and a breach of the fourth wall that made me laugh out loud.

There isn't much to DCI Jack Spratt, nor his replacement while he's under suspension, DS Mary Mary. They both get a little character development this book, but some of it seemed contradictory to their previous characterizations.

The plot, itself, revolves around a weird spin on the Goldilocks and the Three Bears tale, and the plot is often yanked into place to create the parallels. As in the earlier NCD book, The Big Over Easy, everything winds up tying together in a neat little bow, in the end, people defy the expectations from their original tales, and the good guys triumph. There are few surprises, except in the creative ways it all plays out.

These books are immensely entertaining, but they're a light, fluffy dessert to Fforde's more substantial and thought-out Thursday Next series, or even the new one about color perception. But, if you're like me, and impatient for the next books Fforde is going to release, there are worse ways to pass the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fourth Bear.

03/15/2011 page 84