BooksAndTea's Reviews > Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit

Gwenhwyfar by Mercedes Lackey

Mar 12, 11

bookshelves: arthurian-legends, historical, fantasy
Read in March, 2011

Ugh. UGH. I like retakes on the Arthurian legend, but I was not happy with this. I was appalled to see (after I bought it) that the author's mentor was Marion Zimmerman Bradley, who wrote "The Mists of Avalon". I HATED that book and hoped that this would be better.

Initially there's some potential and a spin on the legend I had not considered. But Lackey spends WAY too much time on Gwenhyfar's childhood and training. It took forever to get to the actual Arthurian legend, and honestly I lost interest. I began skimming after a while because it seemed like wherever I stopped nothing new was happening.

The takes on Arthur, Lacelot and Merlin don't get much character development, I think. Which is not unusual and not surprising in retrospect. Given how short the book was, I can't really be surprised after reading 2/3 of the book to find Arthur barely gets mentioned.

If you didn't like Bradley's take on the legend, you probably wouldn't like this either. Lackey thankfully does not go into religious discussions, but has the same sidetracked-ness feel of it. It's too bad because I understand she's a fairly prolific author, but I have zero desire to explore any of her other books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gwenhwyfar.