colleen the fabulous fabulaphile's Reviews > Lord Sunday

1209800
Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, middle-grade, action-adventure
Read from March 14 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

I first picked up this series because it was by Garth Nix, and I loved the Old Kingdom trilogy (a/k/a the Abhorsen trilogy). This series was written younger, and not as detailed, but still quite enjoyable.

The last few books have been a bit so-so. They felt a bit rushed, I suppose. Perhaps it's because the first half of the series is learning and discovering new things, and setting stuff up, and the second half is about the journey to the final battle.

In some ways, I still felt that things were rushed. Things weren't really described in the same way that brought you into the world - more like you were already part of the world, and so, you had to hang on and keep up. Some things were belabored a little bit while others were glossed over. But, overall, it was still good.

But I was worried. Worried about how it would end. Would it be twee and horrible, or would it be worth hanging around for the last 8 or so years?

I was not disappointed. A lot happened that was expected, but just as much happened that was unexpected. And the ending was sort of bitter-sweet - more on the good side than not, but I really liked and appreciated that there was a little sarifice, and that things that were hard won were worth the struggle.

While I still wish there was a bit more time taken in the telling, perhaps - a bit of loving lingering here and there - I can't say I was dissatisfied with the ending, and that's worth a lot these days.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord Sunday.

03/15/2011 page 185
55.0% "Didn't see that coming."