monamour's Reviews > Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest

Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose

Mar 12, 2011

bookshelves: historical, favorites

"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
-Shakespeare Henry V

This ranks as one of the most accurate portrayals of World War II, I have found. It gives the reader a vivid, raw, powerful, view of the men who served in the 101st Airborne, Easy Company, from D-Day to VE-Day. Not only their struggles and at times despair, but the bonds they formed and how they supported each other throughout.

I would recommend this book (and also the HBO miniseries) to anyone who is looking for an honest account of what these men endured, as well as their incredible accomplishments, during some of the most hard won campaigns of the war (Battle of the Bulge ring any bells).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Band of Brothers.

Quotes monamour Liked

Stephen E. Ambrose
“In one of his last newsletters, Mike Ranney wrote: "In thinking back on the days of Easy Company, I'm treasuring my remark to a grandson who asked, 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?'
No,'" I answered, 'but I served in a company of heroes.”
Stephen E. Ambrose, Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest

message 1: by ivana18 (new)

ivana18 I had no idea there's a book, I watched the series and looooved it....must find this book

monamour ivana wrote: "I had no idea there's a book, I watched the series and looooved it....must find this book"

I love the series as well - even bought the DVD set. My brother (who's in the military) and I watch it every year. However, as brilliant as the series is, the book offers you so much more. I think you will really be amazed by it. Also, there are several other books from the men in Easy Company: including ones from David Webster, "Wild" Bill Guarnere, Don Malarkey, and Dick Winters. Those are the only ones I can think of right now. Cheers!