Heather's Reviews > The Complete Maus

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman

Feb 14, 2008

Read in March, 2008

this book won't change your life, but it will make you think, and hopefully feel grateful for what you have, be that family, food, home, or some combination thereof.

it will also make you laugh, and considering the topic of the book, i think that's quite a feat. for example, one of my favorite lines goes something like: if you're trying to survive, it's good to be friendly.

this came after another round of successful bartering in auschwitz. as a (likely) unvarnished comment from an actual survivor, with such a perfect mix of humor, earnestness and wisdom, i think it's a testament to the genius of humanity.

i don't mean to overhype, but this book is a truly wonderful take on the racism, the horrors of war and its bittersweet aftermath. i can see reading it again someday -- and i never re-read books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Maus.

08/21/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ruthi (new)

Ruthi Thanks for your comments about this book. Without them, I probably would have passed right by this book. It sounds like a memorable reading, and one I will look forward to myself. Ruth M.

Heather if i hadn't already turned it in, i'd loan it to you! it's a pretty quick read.