Sara's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: 50-in-2011
Read from March 28 to 29, 2011

Any memoir is at risk of portraying the author as self indulgent. Some of the better memoirs toe that line. I think Chua goes overboard in self promotion and patting herself on the back (interestingly a very "Western" practice). What do you think her physical health is like? Not to mention everyone else's in the family. I got tired of reading how stupid I am as an American, and I don't have kids so I am not particularly sensitive to attacks on parenting technique. The Slate.com had an article that suggested I would be envious of Chua-I also think that's very western and I'm just not into it. I am also not really into the opposite type of parenting, and feel most parents aim for something in the middle, and most kids turn out fine. Not trained (non-hereditary) prodigies, but why does prodigy equal "success?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.

03/28/2011 page 77
32.0% "I want Sophia and Lulu to write a book in 20 years about their well being and emotional health."
03/29/2011 page 189
80.0% "Will finish tonight-easy read as it's not exactly literary genius. Totally want to dissect it with others."