Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker 's Reviews > Pretty When She Dies

Pretty When She Dies by Rhiannon Frater

May 31, 12

Read from May 07 to 08, 2011

Made the Badass Hidden Gem II list..

The Good

The story

You have Amaliya and Amaliya was turned into a vampire by her professor. The professor decides that he wants to really screw with Amal (in more ways than one) and just lets her loose onto the human population. The professor, Amal's Maker (he's actually called "The Summoner"), gives Amal no instruction, no limitations, and literally stalks her to see what type of damage Amal causes while learning the vampire ropes.

Amal has had a hard life and is a real fighter. So, when she is basically made one of the undead, she is going to do whatever possible to survive being a vampire. She sets out to learn more about her new status but along the way, certain aspects of her lifestyle, specifically the fact she needs to feed kind of causes problems. Like how does one stop feeding off of a human once you start?

How does Amal learn everything? It is all trial and error. With trial and error, comes lots of bloodshed. Oops, I think Amal just sucked another human dry. It’s not like she wants to, she is clearly remorseful and that makes her want to find a better way to do what she does. So, she goes on a search for vampire, that is where Cian comes into the story.

With Cian’s help, Amal learns the ropes. However, The Summoner is not too happy with Cian's interference. The Summoner is extremely powerful, before he was a vampire, he dabbled in necromancy. Combine the two, and you have one seriously powerful and messed up vampire.

So now that Cian and Amal are joined at the hip (and eventually at the lips, tongue and various other parts), the Summoner is mad and well, he’s not going to take it anymore.

The characters

Besides Cian and Amal, you have a great assortment of side characters
Samantha- Cian’s fiancée. Now all you people who hate cheating. Never fear, this is not what you think. Seriously.
Roberto- Cian’s butler; or as Amal calls him “Cian's bitch”. He doesn’t want to share Cian with anyone and lets his feeling be known.
Grandmamma- best grandma character ever! Loved her.

The Bad

Some errors

I think this book has been edited quite a few times since she originally released it but there are still a few clumsy passages or flat out errors. For example, in one paragraph, the author meant to write “Jeff” but instead wrote “Cian”. I knew she didn’t mean “Cian” since he wasn’t in the scene for that part of the book and this was dialogue.

The clumsiness and errors did not take away from the overall story. I think that in itself is a testament to how good the actual story is.

Beginning dragged

Poor Amaliya. Seriously, she had some horrible luck in the beginning of the book. The first 25 to 30 percent of the book is Amal trying to survive her new vampire status. She is Hungry, and she needs to Feed. It is depressing to the reader to go through Amal’s struggles for so long. I kept thinking “enough already”.

Later in the book, you discover how significant those struggles are. The fact that Amal lives through those first few days’ means something. I just can’t tell you.

The cover

I hate the cover. Not because it is gross or scary but because it doesn’t really reflect the story as a whole. This book isn’t a horror book. Sure, there are horrific elements and the author does not spare us any graphic detail but it is also an urban fantasy, has lots of witty humor and even a very charming romance.

Overall

How much did I like this one? If I could have (work got in the way), I would have not stopped reading it. When I was done, I wanted another book- asap!

Disclaimer- The book is only 1.99 right now so if I’m wrong and the book sucks, you aren’t wasting a ton of money.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty When She Dies.

05/07/2011
14.0% "Wow, the descriptions are pretty gruesome, be warned, there are no sparkly vampires here. It is intense but so good. I feel bad for Amal, her life is now lots of blood, and fear." 3 comments
05/07/2011
24.0% "Ok, so everything that could go wrong w/ Amaliya has (besides the obvious- she is now a vampire). She keeps hoping her luck will change but so far, it has not. Just got introduced to two other characters. I'm glad, Amal's bad luck was depressing."
05/07/2011
24.0% "this book is still 99 cents for your kindle on Amazon. Worth it so far!" 2 comments
05/07/2011
41.0% "The first 35% of this book was VERY dark, very gritty, almost depressing. BUT, the horrific state of Amal's life through the first 35% of this book is well worth it. I love the addition of the other characters."
05/08/2011
42.0% "One of the best almost-sex scenes ever. Reading it was better than reading many sex scenes. Wow, don't be fooled by the cover on this book. It has it all not just horror." 8 comments
05/08/2011
50.0% "Roberto- totally crushing on his boss!, Cian- he has no clue what to do with Amal & I love it, he lusts for her but knows he needs to stay away. Samantha, Cian's fiancee, huge comic relief, such a "barbie" personality. Cian is clearly into her because she makes him feel human. I don't think he feels any real love for her."
100.0% "Excellent"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Holy crap! What a cover. (Adding it to my wish list...lol.)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker --- 365andMe wrote: "Holy crap! What a cover. (Adding it to my wish list...lol.)"

I love Rhiannon Frater and I've heard this book is very good so, I want the book!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker 99 cents on Amazon for Kindle. Love this author so another good one!

Erika  Badass This book was great :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Erika wrote: "This book was great :)"

It looks great. I have way too many books that I'm dying to read!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

You just wait until I get my new Kindle...lol. I can see my credit card being maxed out with all these low cost books.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker --- 365andMe wrote: "Michelle wrote: "99 cents on Amazon for Kindle. Love this author so another good one!"

LOL! I "bought" 8 books in 2 days for a total of 3 dollars. Not bad. I just need to stop since I'm so behind in my reading as it is.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Sunny wrote: "Michelle - I loved this book. I think the authors other vamp books is also great. Enjoy reading."

Thanks Sunny, I have both vamp books so I'm hopeful!

message 10: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) and it's a self pubbed novel? Hm. I like some almost sex, especially if it's hot.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Katie(babs) wrote: "and it's a self pubbed novel? Hm. I like some almost sex, especially if it's hot."

It is self published and it does have a few gramatical errors but very minor. Any editing issues/errors don't alter the flow of the story whatsoever.

message 12: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) Michelle wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "and it's a self pubbed novel? Hm. I like some almost sex, especially if it's hot."

You would say it's well worth the $1.99 price on Smashwords? Is this a gothic type of romance or more horror?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Katie(babs) wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "and it's a self pubbed novel? Hm. I like some almost sex, especially if it's hot."

Well, it definitely has horror, I'm only at 50% now & there is a potential romance (right now it is just pure sizzling lust) so I wouldn't know how to answer you on that one. What is interesting is the potential "romance" happens to have a fiancee so I don't know how the author will handle it.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Michelle wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "and it's a self pubbed novel? Hm. I like some almost sex, especially if it's hot."

It is self published and it does have a few gramatical..."

I think 1.99 on Smashwords is a deal, I also think it is still available for .99 cents on Amazon. Of course, we all know I have been wrong on my recommendations..lol

message 15: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) Michelle wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "and it's a self pubbed novel? Hm. I like some almost sex, especially if it's hot."

It is self published and it does have..."

is her creator evil or her potential love interest?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Katie(babs) wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "and it's a self pubbed novel? Hm. I like some almost sex, especially if it's hot."

It is self published a..."

Her creator is definitely evil. No love interest at all. The love interest is another one of her creator's creations. (I'm so saying that bad). Her creator is called The Summoner. Amal is one of the Summoner's creations and Amal's potential love interest Cian, is also a creation of the Summoner. Trust me, I making this much more confusing than it actually is.

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Your updates have made this sound really good. I think I might have to check this out.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Catherine wrote: "Your updates have made this sound really good. I think I might have to check this out."

If you have a kindle, it is only .99 cents, or on smashwords, it is only 1.99. That way, if you don't like it, you haven't spent more than a soda (pop- for you midwesterners out there) or a cheap coffee! LOL

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I might make it my first kindle purchase, :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Catherine wrote: "I might make it my first kindle purchase, :)"

How fun, the first time is always the best (gosh, I sound like a Kindle addict)

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine But now comes the horrible struggle. Do I want to buy it in paper or in Kindle? Because if it turns out to be awesome I'm going to curse myself for not buying a paper copy. But if it turns out to be crappy I'm going to curse myself for spending so much extra money when I could have gotten a throw away copy for $1.99 (the current price)! So frustrating. :(

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Catherine wrote: "But now comes the horrible struggle. Do I want to buy it in paper or in Kindle? Because if it turns out to be awesome I'm going to curse myself for not buying a paper copy. But if it turns out t..."

Get a throwaway copy for 1.99 so I don't feel guilty if it turns out bad!

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Don't let those people get you down, Michelle. Even if I didn't like it, I'd never blame you. It's not your fault I was intrigued by your updates.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Catherine wrote: "Don't let those people get you down, Michelle. Even if I didn't like it, I'd never blame you. It's not your fault I was intrigued by your updates."

LOL, I know, it's going to take a couple of reviews before I get my confidence up.

Wendy Darling As for the hotness of this one scene, well, I can't believe I did it, but I actually bookmarked it on my Kindle. LOL. And, they didn't even have sex (ok, they got as close as two can possibly get). "

Hah hah, Michelle...the steamy scenes only got better from there! Even the brief one at the end (after the big battle scene) made me fan myself a little.

This is definitely one of the better self-published ones, with less errors than the others and a better story. I'm not sure I'd spend more money on it for a paperback because there are definitely parts that could be more smoothed out, but...it's a really fun read either way.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Wendy wrote: "As for the hotness of this one scene, well, I can't believe I did it, but I actually bookmarked it on my Kindle. LOL. And, they didn't even have sex (ok, they got as close as two can possibly get)...."

You aren't joking, the woman knows how to write some steamy scenes. I did love what happens later between them (no pun intended there). It's weird because I think this book is the best of all the books I've read of hers (even better than The First Days) but it isn't as popular. It should be, if a person can overlook some of the errors, and the lack of polish in some small places, they will enjoy it tremendously.

message 27: by Rhonda (new) - added it

Rhonda Michelle, I picked this up on kindle for 1.99. I'm looking forward to your review.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Rhonda wrote: "Michelle, I picked this up on kindle for 1.99. I'm looking forward to your review."

oohhh, I hope you like it! I'm gonna try to do my review tomorrow morning!

message 29: by Tarra (new) - added it

Tarra Bought it because of your review. You had me at hot almost sex!! ;)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Tarra wrote: "Bought it because of your review. You had me at hot almost sex!! ;)"

message 31: by Rhonda (last edited May 09, 2011 08:15PM) (new) - added it

Rhonda Michelle wrote: "Tarra wrote: "Bought it because of your review. You had me at hot almost sex!! ;)"

LMAO, the actual sex is even hotter in the book! I hope you like the book. I'm nervous about my review!"

Now Michelle....why would you be nervous about that review??? Nice job, I look forward to reading this.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Rhonda wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Tarra wrote: "Bought it because of your review. You had me at hot almost sex!! ;)"

Because I take a book that I know has a few editing errors, and drags a bit in the beginning and I basically give it 4 stars. I don't seem to take the easy road..lol. You would think I would learn! I really hope you enjoy it!

Wendy Darling Try not to second-guess yourself, hon. People who enjoy your reviews will continue to find them!

message 34: by Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker (last edited May 09, 2011 08:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Wendy wrote: "Try not to second-guess yourself, hon. People who enjoy your reviews will continue to find them!"

I know. I'm no longer going to be a doubting thomas Michelle. You would think I was a 10 year old! LOL

Donna Oh! I have this one on my Kindle but forgot about it. The cover is eye catching, in a gruesome way, it's what caught my attention the first time I noticed it. I wouldn't mind reading something dark right now.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Donna wrote: "Oh! I have this one on my Kindle but forgot about it. The cover is eye catching, in a gruesome way, it's what caught my attention the first time I noticed it. I wouldn't mind reading something dark..."

I think you would like this one!

message 37: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Interesting. May have to check this out.

message 38: by Rhonda (new) - added it

Rhonda Michelle...errors are usually not a problem for me. At least misspellings and such. Punctuation errors are more of a problem for me.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Rhonda wrote: "Michelle...errors are usually not a problem for me. At least misspellings and such. Punctuation errors are more of a problem for me."

I didn't notice any in this book. It doesn't mean they aren't there though..lol!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker AH wrote: "Interesting. May have to check this out."

You should, before the price goes up again!

Regina Loved your review. I actually love the beginning. I don't think it drags at all. So I wouldn't worry about your rec. :) I love how dark and gritty and horrific the beginning was. I initially gave this book 4 stars, but thinking about it's impact on me and the it was a self published work I upped it to 5 stars. I can't wait to read her zombie book. I actually pre ordered it for 9.99. I am so glad she got picked up by a publisher for that series.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Regina wrote: "Loved your review. I actually love the beginning. I don't think it drags at all. So I wouldn't worry about your rec. :) I love how dark and gritty and horrific the beginning was. I initially gave t..."

I'm so happy you liked it. It's amazing what she's done all on her own. I'll probably read the zombie series again once they come out with the new publisher. I heard there are added scenes. It's seriously very good.