Carrie's Reviews > Grand Passion

Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, mystery, read-2011, suspense, humorous
Read from March 29 to 30, 2011

3.5*

Grand Passion was a mixed bag for me. Parts of the story, like the romance with it's ties to the "man in the mirror," were well done and unique. I liked the main characters and the small crowd of secondary characters involved in the inn, even though I felt the "new age" references dated the book. The dialog between Cleo and Max was well done, as well as the conversations between the "the family" group at the inn. They had an authentic feel to them.

What wasn't unique was the mystery surrounding the paintings (figured that out within the first 30 pages of the book), or the secondary characters outside the group at the inn. The pseudo-villains and the real villain were cardboard characters. The dialog associated with these characters, as well as the motives, were right out of a soap opera.

There was such a difference in the quality of the writing for the two parts of the story (romance verses suspense plot) that it felt like the author took two separate stories and tried to mash them together in this book. I'm rounding up to four stars on the strength of the romance, but I'm going on record to say the suspense plot is very ordinary and deserves not more than three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grand Passion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carrie I think the romance plot is one of my favorite of any I've read of Krentz. The "Mirror" twist was sensual and well done. Plus I liked the lead characters. I'll re-read it in the future, as well. I thought the suspense plot weak, but I can ignore than in future reads and enjoy the personal interactions of Max and Cleo, and the whole "family." I only wish Krentz had given us a little more insight into O'Reilly's future. ;-)

Carrie Which are your favorite Krentz books?

Carrie I've read Light in Shadow and Truth or Dare, and I enjoyed them quite a bit. I haven't read any of her Castle books, but I have some on my TBR list.

I think my favorite Krentz so far is All Night Long. I've read all the Arcane books and some are good, some are so-so, but I read them because my daughter likes them and I like talking to her about what she reads. ;-)

Thanks!