Helen's Reviews > Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women

Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine  Brooks

F 50x66
Feb 14, 08

Read in January, 2008

As a non-fiction, I might give this book 4 stars, but compared to fiction, 3 stars is the max. The book read easily and I learned a lot. In the beginning, I had to adjust to how the book was structured, but once I accepted the organization, it made sense.
Toward the end of the book, Brooks asks, "how was it possible to admire her for the courage of her convictions, when her convictions led to such hateful reasoning?" I felt this way throughout the entire book. Part of me wanted to judge this religion and I couldn't understand how anyone could be a follower, but another part of me kept my judgement at bay -- in a sense, such unwavering belief (even if I disagree) is somewhat amdirable (but maybe even scary).
I enjoyed this hard glimpse into the Muslim world even though it was heartbreaking to see how these countries could have chosen to liberate its women but rather choose a completely different path.
Since this book ends with the early 90s, I wonder if the countries have become more fundamentalist? I am afraid the answer would be yes.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Parts of Desire.