Kribu's Reviews > Dark Days

Dark Days by Derek Landy

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, adventure, humour, action, detective, mystery, magic, necromancy, zombies, vampires, urban-fantasy, ireland, skulduggery-pleasant, read-in-2010, top-favourites, skeleton
Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 3

I know SP fans' opinions are divided about this book. There is one thing that is clear: from this book onwards, the series takes a very obvious turn to the dark.

There is still banter, there are still a lot of very funny moments, there is plenty of comic relief, there is budding romance ... and there is a clear shift towards darkness. Not just darkness embodied by flag-waving, moustache-twirling villains and evil ancient gods, but a whole different sort of darkness, one that is in all the characters themselves, and one that we're starting to see glimpses of.

So yeah. Some people don't care for that, some people love it. Dark Days is - quite possibly, and this changes depending on the day and my mood, but most of the time - my favourite of the five books out so far. And I think that shift towards the darkness has a lot to do with that. I love the shades of grey in almost all of the main characters, and I love the friendship that has developed between Skulduggery and Valkyrie (that bit in the very end? the "Until the end" bit? I melt every time I read it, but then, I am a hopeless Val/Skul shipper, even though I fully expect that to not happen in the books).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Days.

Quotes Kribu Liked

Derek Landy
“Valkyrie, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your friend is most likely dead.”
“Of course he’s dead. He’s a skeleton.”

Derek Landy
“We don’t need a cure,” the other zombie said.
“That’s right,” Scapegrace nodded.
“We’re happy the way we are.”
“Happy with the power,” Scapegrace clarified.
“Very happy, just the two of us, and there’s nothing wrong with us either. It’s very natural in fact. Nothing to be ashamed of—”
“Thrasher,” said Scapegrace, “shut up.”

Derek Landy
“So this," she said, "what's happening and what's going to happen, this isn't your fault. You can't control everything and not everything is your responsibility. At Croke Park you said something about how you don't want to drag me around after you so I can die beside you. I wanted to tell you then, but I didn't have the words and I didn't have the time. I'm here because I choose to be. You save my life. I save yours. That's how we work."

"Until the end."

"Until the end.”

Derek Landy
“Seeing you with a face would be weird. Do you think you’d have hair?”
“Oh yes. Hair is a must.”
“Would you have a moustache?”
“Why would I have a moustache?”
“I’m not sure. What about your ears?”
“I’d have ears too, yes.”
“I can’t imagine you with ears.”

08/21/2011 page 205