Kelly's Reviews > Grave Illusions

251943
Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: ebooks, free-ebooks, read-in-2011, urban-fantasy
Read from June 01 to 05, 2011

I'm going to start by saying that I ultimately enjoyed this book. However- yes, there's a 'however'. However, the first 25% of the book was very repetitious. Jess wants Britt to join her uber-secret team, Britt wants to know why she's trying to keep it secret, Jess won't tell him, Britt declines to join. Until the next night when they meet up randomly and Jess asks Britt again to join her uber-secret team... lather, rinse, repeat. Throw in some repressed sexual desire- by both of the main characters- and you've made it 1/4 of the way through the book.

Remember, I did enjoy the story despite this so don't let all that throw you off. There's an interesting twist involving Britt's former partner that I didn't see coming. There's another interesting twist involving the vampires behind the drug that caught me by surprise. I liked Jess and Britt together, although I wouldn't have been adverse to less simmering sexual tension and more acting on those desires. What can I say? I like it when the main characters (or any of the characters, really) get down and dirty.

All in all, once you get past the repetitive start it's a solid urban fantasy. While not groundbreaking in the genre, it is entertaining and intriguing.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Illusions.