Liz's Reviews > The Windup Girl

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Mar 12, 11

Read in March, 2011

If I could not give a star rating, I wouldn't. I'm not sure 3 stars actually encapsulates how I feel about this book.

I have *severe* problems with the brutality of the rape scenes in this book - and how often they are brought up. Just when I think we're done, there's another one. I think that there could be better ways to portray Emiko's "less than human" status than this.

I could have stopped reading there, but the problem is that I really enjoyed all *other* aspects of this book. I liked the complexity of the book, and how each of the characters were developed. I *especially* loved Kanya's character, and her interactions with Jaidee's ghost.

I loved how so much culture and texture had to be inferred from subtext. That's ok with me. I don't want a translator character. We don't need specific info dumps, because we're understanding historical events from character's perspectives. I loved every second of that.

So my problem was the rape scenes, and for that, I could *not* give this a higher rating.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Windup Girl.

Erika I also really had a hard time getting past the rape scenes. I've been scouring reviews to see if anyone else got as hung up on them as I did, because seriously?