Kim Wells's Reviews > Traveling With Pomegranates: A Mother-Daughter Story

1951462
Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: foodie-reads
Read on March 12, 2011

I bought this book thinking it was a fiction book-- it was late and my blurb reading skills were apparently not working well. After a few pages I figured it out, but it was interesting so I kept going, and it got better as I went.

This is a combination travel memoir, mother/daughter journal of sorts. Sue Monk Kidd, who wrote The Secret Life of Bees (which I am now reading) and her daughter Ann explore a spiritual journey they made together that parallels, for them, the Demeter/Persephone mythos. The memoir also explores the journey both women made towards a writing career (at various degrees and levels.)

I know some folks will not like it, and call it "navel gazing" and self-obsessed but it IS a memoir, and you shouldn't simply expect a travel-story. Yes, there are some amazing details of the places the two journey, but the main point is the exploration of a sense of self, and an understanding of the phases of a woman's life.

I really needed to read this book at this moment. I am glad I mistakenly got it on my nook in the middle of the night and will read more of both writers' work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traveling With Pomegranates.

03/12/2011 page 81

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tasha (new)

Tasha The Dance of the Dissident Daughter is one of my favorites. I wonder how this would compare.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Wells I checked and Dance is not available on Nook, so I'll have to get it in paperback when I get a chance. :) I liked this a lot.