Rebecca's Reviews > My Name is Mary Sutter

My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira

F 50x66
Mar 12, 11

Read in March, 2011

The Civil War is the backdrop for one woman's struggle to become a surgeon. Mary Sutter is already a skilled midwife (learned from her mother) but wants to know more. Mary is rejected from med school and doctors. The war begins and due to recent heartbreak Mary answers the call for nurses. Arriving in Washington DC Mary encounters the same prejudice but finds a place in the worst hospital. There she will the doctors who change everything.

Of course this is more than just a story of struggle it's also about love, war, reconciliation and determination. It's a different side of the war, the medical side which really hasn't been told in this manner. You feel the heat, confusion, the despair and exhaustion. Mary is ruthless in her pursuit of her dream ignoring her mother's call to return home to help deliver her twin's baby and ignoring the entreaties to help her brother home. You feel her anguish as she makes these decisions. There are historical figures in this book. Lincoln, Hay, Stanton, and the generals do appear along with the opening battles of the war.

I really liked this book and like the style of writing. I look forward to more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Mary Sutter.