Shayla's Reviews > The Beginning of Spring

Mar 30, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: library-book-club
Read from March 12 to 14, 2011

Yikes. I don't think I've rolled my eyes more while reading a book. Nellie leaves, does Frank care? I don't think so. She leaves the kids at the train station to get back to Moscow on their own. Do they care that their mom has left them? I don't think so. Then we get lots of descriptions of Reidkas, and Tolstoyian things and Birch Trees. Plus more descriptions of Russian activities, a little bit of England and Nellie's life, Birch Trees, everyone knows the goings on at Frank's house, enter Lisa, Frank "loves" her...ugh ugh ugh. The last few chapters were by far the most interesting, but that still couldn't raise this book above one star for me.

*** After reading another book that I just gave one star, I have decided to amend my rating of this book to two stars. Did I like The Beginning of Spring? NO. But it was well written and had some promise. What I disliked most were her characters. I didn't find them amusing in the least and the depiction of Moscow left me bored, but the writing was good. So two stars and not one. 03/30/11
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beginning of Spring.