Robyn's Reviews > Beezus and Ramona

Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary

F 50x66
Mar 12, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

There were many things about this book that I found mystifying as a child. A lot of the language and many of the things Beezus does come from an older time, such as her needle point. This did not, however dampen my enjoyment of this book. I had read many of the other books in the Ramona series before I had read this one, and it was both fun and interesting to see the characters at an earlier time. Additionally, some of Ramona's antics in this book are referenced in the later ones, so as a child I was very interested to see the full stories of Ramona's childhood exploits which were only hinted at in later novels. This book also gave me a new perspective on Beezus, and deepened my understanding of her relationship with her sister. It helps you to understand that your pain in the butt older sibling was once not terribly different from you, but that they are complete people with lives and thoughts and hopes and dreams. While I enjoyed this book, I do feel like it is better once you have read other Ramona novels. It is at least more rewarding that way.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beezus and Ramona.