jo mo's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

4.75/5

Flowery book jacket

edit: being made into movie

"for eight years i dreamed of fire. trees ignited as i passed them, oceans burned. the sugary smoke settled in my hair as i slept, the scent like a cloud left on my pillow as i rose. even so, the moment my mattress started to burn, i bolted awake. the sharp, chemical smell was nothing like the hazy syrup of my dreams; the two were as different as indian and carolina jasmine, separation and attachment. they could not be confused.

standing in the middle of the room, i located the source of the fire. a neat row of wooden matches lined the foot of the bed. they ignited, one after the next, a glowing picket fence across the piped edging. watching them light, i felt a terror unequal to the size of the flickering flames, and for a paralyzing moment i was ten years old again, desperate and hopeful in a way i had never been before and would never be again."

[ kate greenways's 1884 language of flowers ]

vintage garden illustration

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.

06/07/2011 "A really angry, bitter character full of hate and distrust..."
06/08/2011
38.0% "This book is DISGUSTINGLY good! I'm about to praise the lord for allowing the book + me to meet. Hallelujah!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hira Wow, thank you for the beautiful passage - I love the quote on the cover..."Anyone can grow into something beautiful." :D

message 2: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo mo My pleasure :]

Wendy Darling Hm, really! Someone else was not so enamored of it, but you've intrigued me...

message 4: by jo (last edited Jun 09, 2011 05:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo mo Wendy Darling wrote: "Hm, really! Someone else was not so enamored of it, but you've intrigued me..."

I don't know about other people, but I've fallen in love with the book! It's gritty and raw and full of emotion. Often disturbing, but never apologetic in its writing. The chapters alternate between then (~10 years ago) and now.

Vera_Awesome it seems like a very interesting book and please tell if its good enough to buy! please

Jody It's good enough to buy. Great characters, good story, good ending, but needed a few more specific details at the end. The reader can fill in the blanks, but the author's additional words would have been best. JV

message 7: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo mo i bought it. it's right there on my nightstand and i don't regret having bought it.

Vickie I loved this book and I'm so happy to see it being made into a movie. I have to say though the person who wrote the article about it being made into a movie obviously hasn't read the book!

I'm so hopeful that the author is working on a new book. I loved her style of writing and the images she evoked.

message 9: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo mo Vickie wrote: "I loved this book and I'm so happy to see it being made into a movie. I have to say though the person who wrote the article about it being made into a movie obviously hasn't read the book!

I'm ..."

truer words have never been spoken. a new book you say?