Kathryn's Reviews > Salad as a Meal: Healthy Main-Dish Salads for Every Season

Salad as a Meal by Patricia Wells

Mar 11, 2011

bookshelves: food, non-fiction, netgalley-or-first-reads
Read in March, 2011

As I have been perusing this book over the last week or two, I have found myself picking up ingredients at the supermarket which I would normally avoid. I may not have purchased anything highly unusual as of yet but this book has given me some wonderful ideas and provided inspiration for what I already regularly buy.

I love the idea of salads as the center of a meal. My family does not. I would appreciate a cookbook that provides recipes for people, particularly kids, who do not look forward to salad. There are numerous lovely and delicious recipes in this book but the ingredients lean towards the gourmet aisle. This means the recipes in this book are a bit more expensive. One of the benefits to salads besides that they taste good, are healthy, and fairly easy to prepare (exceptions provided in this book) is that salads are cheap. Purchasing from the gourmet aisle is not so be warned.

Regardless, as long as you are aware of these things, this is an excellent book. My favorite was the fish and shellfish chapter. This book is all about salads but there were many excellent recipes focusing on meat as an ingredient so do not assume this book is only for vegetarians. Everyone, regardless of their eating habits, will find somthing in this book to their taste, as long as they enjoy salad in some form or another.

I must also praise the extra sections near the end of the book. Equipment: Items For a Dream Kitchen was fun and made me feel as though I were reading a letter to Santa. Internet Food Sources appears very promising, though I have not yet had a chance to explore any of those listed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salad as a Meal.

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi I wish my family would see salad as a meal. Heck, I can't even get the teenager to see salad as a side. He refuses to eat lettuce altogether. Maybe when he goes to college, I'll check out this book.

Kathryn I hope you do. I will probably also buy it, since I read this as an ebook. I would like a hardcopy in my kitchen.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi You miss all the pretty pictures in an ebook.