Rachel's Reviews > The Book Thief

Apr 03, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, ya
Recommended to Rachel by: Mark Reads
Read from March 29 to April 03, 2011

Pretty good. The introduction is really unusual and intriguing, so I think I was a little disappointed when it got more traditional after that. It was also a little too long, but the biggest problem was the constant, heavy-handed foreshadowing and -boding. "And remember: baaaad things were about to happen!" Zusak, seriously, this is a book about Nazi Germany. I know bad things are going to happen. (Maybe the obviousness of it is what makes it a teen book instead of an adult book? Because subject-matter-wise, it is pretty grim for kids.)

Besides that, it was (again) pretty good. I wish I could give it three and a half stars, but I'm going to round down to three because it really could have been 15% shorter without losing impact.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

03/29/2011 page 33
6.0% "If anybody had told me this was narrated by Death (NARRATED by DEATH!) I woulda read it five years ago."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mackenzie I'm glad I saw this. This is the next book for our church lady book club (of which I am the youngest member. I probably bring the average down a good 20 years) so I had to finish it by this week but I'm glad I gave myself time. I kept thinking I would get into it because EVERYONE else loves it but just never did. That might have something to do with the fact that I don't like books with sad endings...but for a book about Nazi Germany, I really thought it ended better than it could have.