Tricia's Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: kindle, 11-03-march
Read from March 06 to 28, 2011

I'm still processing my reaction to this book, because I kind of liked it, and it kind of drove me crazy. Frankenstein is such an emo spoiled brat at times that I just want to shake him - though that would put him in a stupor lasting 6 months minimum, I'm sure! The one thing I found fascinating is the difference between the story of this book - and especially the portraal of the monster and to a lesser extent Frankenstein - to the usual kind of movie you get, and what most of us would picture if you said 'Frankenstein'. I am really curious to see the new production at the National Theatre, and will try to get to see it before the end of its run.

The monster is so unbelievable that I find it hard to imagine that Shelley isn't using it as a metaphor. Without the frame of the captain, I would read this more as an unreliable narrator, and the monster could be a matter of a coping mechanism to high levels of stress, or a metaphor for homosexual desires. As there are only two people who see and speak with the monster - well, draw your own conclusions.

Who was the real victim in this story? What responsibilities do we have to our creations? How did the old horror movies ever come out of this book? Plenty to ponder when reading this classic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.