Emily May's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2011
Read from October 26 to 28, 2011

My main reason for reading The Thief was so I could read the sequel - The Queen of Attolia - that I've heard is superb and far better than this first installment. I actually set myself up for quite an underwhelming experience with this book based on reviews and the fact that I'm not the biggest fan of more traditional fantasy with magical realms and such (I never could stand The Lord of the Rings). However, the story was interesting, the writing excellent and the protagonist was a witty, devious little narrator that kept me entertained throughout.

I love the world that Turner has created, even though we've seen so little of it so far - this only served to further pique my interest. I see a lot of potential for this series and I have already ordered a copy of The Queen of Attolia.

There is a twist that I thought was pretty obvious, and usually if I can solve a mystery it would suggest that it's about as mysterious as a gigantic billboard with flashing neon lights... but I think it had more to do with the fact that I knew a twist was coming, and some other GR reviewers were surprised by it. So, you know, try not to, um, think too much about it.

By the way, for people who have read this, isn't the biggest clue in (view spoiler)

But, for me, guessing the twist didn't spoil the story at all. I was introduced to a wonderful fantasy world, interesting characters, and a fast-paced plot, and it was all supported by Turner's talent for flawless writing. I cannot wait to read the second book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

10/27/2011 page 132
47.0% "woah... and this is everyone's least favourite of the series?" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dominika so it's that good? i have it on my shelf, waiting to be read

Emily May I am very surprised how much I'm enjoying this book! I expected this to be so-so and the others to be better like the reviews say... but no, it's really good :)

message 3: by Shy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shy Glad to see that you enjoyed the book. This is definitely one of the best series I've ever read! The next books are even better, trust me ;)

Dominika now I know what to read next ;) I've been behind with my readings because of my thesis and stuff, but I finally have some free time... <3

Dominika darn. I just noticed that I lent it to my friend... :(

Wendy Darling I'm not the biggest fan of more traditional fantasy with magical realms and such

Neither am I...so I'm glad to hear this is good. Bumping it up my list!

Emily May Yay, I'm glad! Hope you enjoy it Wendy :)

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Alrighty, after much prodding from my sister and lurking around the reviews for this book, I'll be adding it to the top of my booklist. I read one of the first three books in this series a long time ago, but I can't remember which one...

message 9: by Emily May (last edited Nov 06, 2011 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily May Hope you like it too :)

message 10: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya do the books in this series end on cliffhangers? or do they provide some kind of closure each time?

Emily May Oh no, these always have closure (it's a good job as it takes the author about 5 years to write each one!) but the endings usually contain something unexpected, Turner loves twists.

message 12: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya thanks ^^ that sounds great. I want to start reading this series, but was a bit worried ... while I generally don't mind cliffhanger endings, it might be a bit hard if you actually have to wait for several years for the next volume ^^;;

message 13: by Conan (new)

Conan I am going to read it starting tomorrow. Seeing this review makes me really want to read it. Sounds interesting hopefully I can read the sequel soon.

Emily May I really hope you like it :)

message 15: by Arang (new) - added it

Arang after reading Lumatere Chronicles..I wanted to read this :)

Emily May I love the Lumatere Chronicles! I miss that world so much... I hope you love this one too :)

message 17: by Arang (new) - added it

Arang Emily May wrote: "I love the Lumatere Chronicles! I miss that world so much... I hope you love this one too :)"

Is this series somehow similar to Lumatere Chronicles?

Emily May Hmm... I would say that they are similar in that they both have fantastic, well-developed characters with interesting and complex relationships between them. They are also both about warring kingdoms and love and betrayals... the main difference is that I think the Lumatere books are consistent in terms if quality where this series gets better as it goes along. I feel the need to tell anyone who is thinking of starting this that the first book is the weakest - not bad, just not as good as the rest - and encourage them to try the second even if they are disappointed by the first.