Minli's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: historical, middle-grade
Read in March, 2011

A surprisingly short read for a 500+ page book, Selznick's The Invention of Hugo Cabret is an experiment in medium: not quite graphic novel or picture book, long sequences are wordlessly illustrated in between short spans of text. The (pencil?) illustrations of the Parisian landscape were awesome, as were the chase scenes and the details of the automation. It's really quite a daring effort, and one I appreciated.

However, impressive production and delicate illustration aside, I was still looking for some more meaty characterization. Hugo is pleasantly quirky, though he falls back on the tropes of a noble street rat, Isabelle was... sadly, annoying, and Papa Georges was almost like two different people. Papa Georges almost does a full 180 in personality within three pages, which I Just Cannot Get Over.

Still, this Caldecott winner is a worthy read--it won't take up much your time, either.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

message 1: by Mercadoodles (new)

Mercadoodles I wasn't impressed with that book, other than with its design. Content-wise, yeah, falls a little flat.