Keith's Reviews > Finding Flow: The Psychology Of Engagement With Everyday Life

Finding Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

May 06, 11

Read from May 04 to 06, 2011

This is a very good little (less than 200 page) book. The author (excuse my desire not to try spelling his last name) covers information that I've read in other books (though I think he may have originated some of the original research) on flow -- the sensation of losing yourself in some project or work.

Flow. according to the author, is achieved when a person is working on a challenging project that stretches their skill set but provides a good opportunity for success. A project that over matches the person's skill set causes anxiety and stress, one that under-utilizes a person's skills causes boredom. This seems rather obvious, but I found it insightful. (If you're bored with something, make it more challenging, if you're stressed out about something, make it simpler or seek a way to improve your skills.)

This isn't necessarily a "how to" or "self improvement" book with a list of 10 things to do, but it does provide guidance and the knowledge you need to create your own path. I think there might be a more detailed/more prescriptive book on this topic (perhaps by this author), but I found this enlightening and it made me want to read more about the subject.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Flow.