willaful's Reviews > Destined for an Early Grave

Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Mar 14, 11

bookshelves: angsty-goodness, heroes-behaving-badly
Read from March 11 to 13, 2011, read count: 1

It can be difficult for an author to keep the right amount of tension in a series with an ongoing couple, especially without retconning their past or making one or both characters act like a douche. Frost does both of those things here, though with a fair bit of creativity and panache that makes it work.

Still, this felt like something of a letdown after the first three books. Basically I feel like if you’re going to write a big angsty, soap-opera plot, you need to follow through and give the readers something to make it up to them. There’s a lot of anguish without much payback for it; I especially would have liked to see some regret from Bones about how much Cat suffered. The ending is very abrupt and unsatisfying as well.

Would definitely not recommend this as an entry point to the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined for an Early Grave.

03/13/2011 page 80
23.0% "I wonder if the fact that lack of REM sleep totally messes a person up is going to be a plot point?"
03/13/2011 page 192
54.0% "I *should* leave this dead tree for the gym and read one of the million library books on my nook, but I have GOT to find out what happens!"