Sarai's Reviews > Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon by Alison Goodman

Mar 11, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, young-adult, series, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from June 29 to July 01, 2011

I wasn't going to write a review for this book but since I keep thinking about it I figure I might as well write something.

The world-building in this book is extensive, murky, confusing, and magical all at the same time. If you don't pay attention and allow yourself to be sucked in you will be lost. I found myself re-reading some passages and even googling all about dragons and dragon lore (Firelight doesn't count) in order to really get the overall picture. Goodman doesn't leave much to the imagination. She describes things in vivid detail and god help you if you don't keep up with her.

I don't know much about Asian history, customs, and religion, so I had to do a little research on that as well, but it paid off. I really enjoyed Eon's story. I rooted for her, and not only because she's the underdog. There's just something about a character who fights to survive against all odds--I'm a sucker every time.

Eon's story was a breath of fresh air in the midst of generic paranormal romances and mediocre dystopias. The concept was unique, the main character is relatable, flawed, and had a distinct voice. Eon is not perfect by any means, she makes mistakes and lets fear get the best of her, but that to me is what a great character is all about. I know I'll remember Eon and her story no matter how many books I read this year. I just hope the second installment doesn't take away from the first.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.

06/29/2011 page 45
8.0% "Picking up where I left off in the end of chapter three."
06/30/2011 page 168
31.0% "The world building in this book is intense."
07/01/2011 page 322
60.0% "Eon needs to figure her shit out stat, I'm starting to get antsy here."
04/09/2016 marked as: read