Jessica's Reviews > Baghdad Burning: Girl Blog from Iraq

Baghdad Burning by Riverbend

Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: school

Baghdad Burning: Girl Blog from Iraq is exactly what it says it is: a blog written by a young Iraqi woman living in Baghdad during the initial phase of the Iraq War. The blog itself extends from August 2003 until October of 2007 (and then the blogger vanishes completely), but this book just covers the period August 2003-September 2004, ending with the Marine attack on Fallujah. Riverbend, as the author calls herself (she remains anonymous in order to keep herself and her family safe), blogs about everything from her daily life experiences and Iraqi culture to the evolving Iraqi political situation and American policymaking in her occupied country. I assigned it to a group of students this semester, and I think it's an especially useful book for two reasons: first of all, it offers not only an Iraqi view of life during that critical period of the war, but a young, female, modern, secular voice - Riverbend isn't terribly different from most college students today, with her love of technology, easy use of slang, and sharp commentary on the world she sees around her; secondly, it explores the Iraqi political landscape in an informative but not pedantic way (in my opinion, anyway). I learned plenty from reading this book, and it is at the top of my list for books to read to try and get a comprehensive view of post-invasion Iraq.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baghdad Burning.