Candy's Reviews > Beauty

Beauty by Robin McKinley

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: buy, fairytale, favorites, old-fashioned, young-adult, great
Recommended to Candy by: librarian friend
Recommended for: ANYONE over the age of 14!
Read from April 19 to 21, 2011, read count: 1 but I will probably buy it and read it again.

Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the Beast

Remember the music in the movie 'Beauty and the Beast?' I loved it. In fact, I think that crop of Disney movies (Aladin, Little Mermaid, The Lion King) was the last of the REALLY good ones. Anyway, there were moments that, while reading 'Beauty' by Robin Mckinley, I would have a song burst out in my head. It was great! : )

I LOVE this book!!! I have always liked the story of Beauty and the Beast but Robin Mckinley does an amazing job telling her story.
Beauty(Honor) is not a 'typically' pretty girl but with her spirit, kindness, and family values she is a beautiful heroine. Beast is gentle and kind in contrast to the man he once was. The other characters of the book- Beauty's family and the Beast's household items/staff all add to the story and the setting is lovely as well.

I have read a couple of 'fairytale' type books and not liked them too much so I was worried that I just didn't like that style. This book changed my mind on that subject.

One thing that some authors do and I love is to add words to their story that encourage me to use a dictionary or Google. I had no idea what a Yggdrasil was and I now look forward to reading Le Morte d'Artbur. Mckinley does a wonderful job of using language that made the story seem very old fashioned. This is a wonderful writing gift and one that many authors don't have. It also makes the fact that this story was written in 1978 not feel dated. I think this is a book that I will read again and again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty.

Candy I've come back to say that even though it's only been 3 days since I finished reading this, I can't stop thinking about it. Though I'm enjoying he books I'm reading right now, I want more Robin McKinley fairytales even if there 2/3 as good as Beauty!