Sandra's Reviews > The Social Network - screenplay

The Social Network - screenplay by Aaron Sorkin

Mar 15, 11

bookshelves: in-english, movie-or-tv, scripts, saw-the-movie-first, read-in-2011
Read from March 12 to 15, 2011

I thought this made for an interesting read, because this is not the final script. There are some things that have been changed for the actual movie: some quotes, but most notably the name of Eduardo's girlfriend (named Jenny in this draft, but Christy in the movie).

I read the script because I'd liked watching the movie. Although, like is probably a strong word. The story is just utterly heartbreaking and the script definitely did that a million times over. This script however shows how important good character interpretations by actors are - I didn't get the same sense of friendship/subtext between Mark and Eduardo reading the script as I did when watching the movie.

Also, reading this made me realize how seriously unrepresented women are in this story. Remind me again why Mark's girlfriend has been cut out? I think the script and movie make Mark out to be more of a demon than I believe him to be. But then again, till he decides to talk, we'll never know.

All in all, a decent script for a decent movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Social Network - screenplay.

03/12/2011 page 43
27.0% ""INT. LARGE LECTURE HALL - NIGHT The lecture hall has been converted into "Alpha Epsilon Pi Caribbean Night, 2003" and the party is about as lame as it sounds. What's important is that this couldn't be any less like the final club party we saw at the beginning if they were playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey." The point is, I'm enjoying Aaron Sorkin's comments. This is fun!"
03/13/2011 page 101
62.0% ""You have part of my attention -- the minimum amount needed. The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook where my employees and I are doing things that no one in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creatively capable of doing. Did I adequately answer your condescending question?" I love this even in draft. Chills every time."
03/14/2011 page 130
80.0% "SEAN "[...] So I had this dream that I would make a billion dollar company. Not a million dollar company -- any hack can do that -- a billion dollar company. And I would have business cards printed up that said, "I'm CEO... Bitch." It's our time. We run the universe." [Leaving the rest for tomorrow 'cause it's so heartbreaking.]"
03/15/2011 page 162
100.0% "EDUARDO: "[...] I was your only friend. You had one friend." And then my heart broke in a thousand pieces."