Danielle's Reviews > The Screwtape Letters

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Feb 13, 08

bookshelves: fiction, danielle-recommends, my-favorites, classics-recommended-reading
Read in July, 2005

So intelligently written-- C.S. Lewis sees right through you and highlights your every human foible and self-justification through the eyes of a "junior tempter." Such an inspiring book, though. You finish it with the feeling that despite our many weaknesses, good can conquer evil in the most trying battle--that of our countless daily choices between little sins or being a little better.
I love this book for the way it helped me see that even mundane decisions matter. No matter how small it is, every choice you make is leading you closer to light or darkness. I also loved Lewis's portrayal of Satan, or rather, two of the sub-Satan's charged with carrying out his work. I don't take this fictional account as gospel truth, of course, but it is both an entertaining and helpful way to look at temptation, I think. And just personally, I think one day we might be surprised to learn how dead-on Lewis was. Anyway, they're so desperate, conniving, miserable, and rotten. Why would you ever voluntarily spend time or allow input from such beings?
There are so many beautiful nuggets of truth in this book that just make you stop and think. Lewis is so often profound here, while at the same time being incredibly witty. This is by far my favorite book by him, and I heartily recommend it to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screwtape Letters.