Page (One Book At A Time)'s Reviews > Compulsion

Mar 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from April 30 to May 01, 2011

'm draw to books about mental illness. Maybe that's what having a degree in psychology does to you. So, I immediately wanted to read this book based on the OCD fact alone. While, I had a hard time getting into the story, it did not disappoint.

While I was intrigued be Jake, I had a hard time with him at first. I didn't understand his OCD and what he was doing to calm himself. And, I was really confused by the "magic". For a little bit I was afraid it was going to have a paranormal accept. It seemed like Jake believed that the numbers actually gave him a magical element. Turns out I was wrong on the fact and then the OCD begins to make sense. He has his rituals which he must go through everyday before he can leave the house. Plus, any time he sees a number (on the clock, etc), he has to add/subtract/ whatever to make it a prime number. It's really crippling him because its starting to effect his everyday life. As the all important soccer game draws closer, Jake's life goes into a tail spin. He think that if he can win that big game and earn a college scholarship, his OCD will go away.

But, as with any mental illness, things go crazy. His OCD has lead to one to many tardies and he's in danger of not being able to play in the big game. When the morning before the big game doesn't go according to plan, he's forced to skip class so he can start the day right. But that's not his only problem. His sister has high social aspirations and wants to cement her place before he goes off to college. He makes a deal with her, but his OCD basically lands her in the hospital.

This was roller coaster ride for me. I really enjoyed watching how Jake's OCD controls him. I liked watching him get to that point when he realizes he needs help. I also loved who and how he finally reaches out for that help. From about half way through the book I was hooked. So, the 3 rating comes from the slow start and the excessive use of the "F" word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compulsion.

05/01/2011 page 230